Thursday, June 11, 2009

Ice Cream!

I love ice cream!  I mean, l-o-v-e it! BUT I don't love writing about it or even photographing it.  (It may be harder to do than savory foods.)  For the past several months I've been making ice cream along with the other desserts I've blogged about but have been unmotivated to share my experiences.  I couldn’t tell you how many times I tried writing this post, starting and stopping, starting and stopping.  So, instead of telling about and giving you one recipe I’ve decided to make this a three for one.  :)DSC01253

I’m pretty sure you won’t be shocked to read that the first ice cream of the season I made was snickerdoodle ice cream.  I found recipe over at Our Best Bites.  My only changes were to cut back on the cinnamon and use ready made snickerdoodle cookie dough from the store.  A bit of  advice? Make your own cookies or better yet make your own snickerdoodle bars.  :)

 DSC01252

Snickerdoodle Ice Cream

1 1/2 c. 2% milk

1 c. sugar

2 eggs

1 c. heavy cream

1 tsp. vanilla

2 tsp. cinnamon (1 1/2 tsp.)

About 1 1/2-2 c. chopped high-quality sugar cookies, *snickerdoodles, or shortbread cookies

Combine milk and sugar in a medium saucepan.  Heat over medium until bubbles form around the edges.  Remove from heat.

In a small mixing bowl (or really big cereal bowl), whisk eggs thoroughly.  Very slowly, add 1/2 of the hot milk mixture, whisking the eggs constantly.  Return pan with remaining milk mixture to stovetop and then whisk the egg and milk mixture back into the saucepan, whisking constantly.  Add whipping cream.  Over medium-low heat and stirring constantly, continue heating the custard mixture to 160 degrees.  It will start to thicken quickly; remove from heat when your finger leaves a track on a spoon coated in the custard mixture. 

Add in cinnamon and vanilla.  Place the custard in an airtight container and chill in the refrigerator several hours. 

When ready to make ice cream, pour chilled custard into ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.  When the ice cream is almost done (like maybe the ice cream maker's struggling a little...it looks like really firm soft-serve...), add chopped cookies.  Remove from ice cream freezer and place in another air-tight container and freeze an hour or two (at least...but not longer than a couple of days) to allow it to firm up.

*I used the grocery store’s ready made snickerdoodle cookie dough but would suggest that you make your own.  They really weren’t that good.

 

This next one isn't going to be much of a surprise either.  I made banana fosters ice cream which I found on Cafe Johnsonia. The texture of this ice cream wasn’t as smooth or creamy as others and I think it may be due to the homemade caramel that is mixed with the custard but we loved it.  DSC01514

Bananas Foster Ice Cream
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup heavy cream (not ice cold)
1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 tsp. sea salt
2 cups whole or 2% milk (I used 2%)
2 whole eggs or 4 egg yolks (I used 4 egg yokes)
1-2 ripe bananas (depending on how big they are) (I used 2.)
2-4 tablespoons dark rum (optional--can use 1 tsp. rum extract, too.) (I used 1/2 tsp. of rum extract.)

In a 2-quart pan, combine sugar and water. Bring to a boil and cook without stirring until the sugar becomes a deep amber color. Add the heavy cream and stir well. Add the lemon juice, vanilla extract, butter, and salt. (It may clump up, just keep stirring and it will smooth out.)

Transfer caramel to a heat proof bowl to cool.**
Once caramel is cool, whisk in the eggs (or egg yolks).
Prepare an ice bath. (You will need it to quickly cool the hot custard.)

In another pan, heat milk until very hot.** Gradually add the hot milk to the caramel/egg mixture. Whisk well and pour it back into the pan. Cook over medium heat until the custard reaches a temperature of 160 degrees F on an instant read thermometer. Strain the custard through a fine mesh sieve into a clean bowl. Place the bowl in an ice bath to cool.

Peel the bananas, break them into chunks and put them into a blender. Add some of the custard and puree until smooth. (I didn’t puree the bananas.  I just smushed them with the potato masher.) Add the puree back to the bowl with remaining custard. Stir well. Add the rum, if using.

Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill until very cold. Freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer directions.
Makes 1 quart.

**Alternatively, you could add the milk to the caramel while it's still hot and then add it to the eggs that have been whisked in a separate bowl. It just depends on how you want to do it. It will work just as well either way. My caramel just happened to be cold, so I added the eggs to the caramel.**

DSC01515

Lindsey has this post on making custard base ice cream which I found very helpful. Per Whitney at Rookie Cookie, Lindsey is Utah’s very own ice cream whisperer.  If you’d like to see another recipe of Lindsey’s I’ve made please visit here.

 

DSC01289-1

This last recipe is for banana ice cream which I found at Spork or Foon.  (On a side note Teanna is attempting to recreate Top Chef recipes at home which I think is quite impressive!) I really, really liked this recipe which put to good use the overage of ripened bananas that I had on hand at the time.  Best thing?  No cooking!

Banana Ice Cream Recipe:

makes 1 quart

You will need:

2 cups of half and half (I used 1 cup 2%milk & 1 cup of heavy cream)

1 can of sweetened condensed milk

1 cup of heavy cream

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

2 very ripe bananas

2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice

Mix together the first four ingredients until combined, making sure the condensed milk is well blended with the other liquids.* Chill until cold.

Pour mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze accordingly.

Mash the bananas with the lemon juice and add to the ice cream maker 2 minutes before it's finished. Transfer ice cream to a freezer safe container, cover and freeze for at least 3 hours.

*I didn’t wait to add the mashed bananas.  I added it into the milk mixture and chilled it as well.

DSC01301

46 comments:

avesta said...

ummm...all those flavors sound so good right now! I may need to head out for some ice cream right away!

Denise said...

good Lord, these both look incredible. I have never made ice cream. I feel like trying now..

Kerstin said...

Oh wow, love your 3 for 1 post! They all look incredible and I would especially like to try the Bananas Foster - yum!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Those flavors are fantastic! I'd be tempted by all three of them!

cheers,

Rosa

Cristine said...

Snickerdoodle ice cream?!?!?! You KNOW it is now calling out to me and I won't be satisfied until I make it myself! :)

Everything looks so yummy!

Coleens Recipes said...

While I have a LOT of food issues (I like it too much) I have never liked ice cream...HOWEVER...hubby could LIVE on ice cream, so I am very excited about your post today. Great photos too!

The Blonde Duck said...

Snickerdoodle ice cream....sweet woudned wuffles!

Donna-FFW said...

Oh My goodness Ingrid, what a perfect trifecta! I think Id love the snickerdoodle the best. I MUST purchase an ice cream maker asap.

oneordinaryday said...

Okay, the snickerdoodle ice cream is too much. I'm gonna have to try that one. What do you think about using the snickerdoodle bars for it instead of the cookies? Or do you just prefer the bars to the ice cream all together? Those bars are tough to beat, I'll give you that!!

Risa said...

Every single one of these sounds delicious. I desperately want an ice cream maker so I can start making my own ice cream.

Abby said...

A three for one! They all look great. I love the idea of cinnamon in ice cream.

I had the best peanut-butter banana milkshake the other day. YUM. I need to get my own ice-cream maker!

Noodlegirl said...

oh too yummy!

grace said...

yes, all the flavors are enticing, but you know by now that the snickerdoodle version has my full support. DELIGHTFUL. :)

Reeni said...

I'd love a huge sundae with a scoop of each!! They all sounds so scrumptious!!!!

Nicole said...

That's a lot of ice cream! It's funny that you posted this, because I just made some ice cream too! :) They all look soo good, but which one to choose?

Monica H said...

There's a local creamery that made Snickerdoodle ice cream, but it was only seasonal. It was so good! It was cinnamon ice cream with mini snickerdoodle cookies in it. Delish!

All your ice creams look wonderful. We have a family recipe that we make from time to time, but it's just vanilla. I made coffee ice cream a few months ago, but haven't been motivated to write about that either.
Great job!

kellypea said...

Banana ice cream is one of my secret pleasures. Soooo yummy -- and definitely which mashed chunks instead of puree. ; ) The snickerdoodle ice cream sounds delish too, and yep, I'd probably want to make my own cookies. But I hear you on not wanting to write some posts. It's like pulling teeth. Appreciate that you did write it, though because I need some new ice cream recipes.

teresa said...

Oh man, ice cream heaven! I honestly don't know which one I want to try first! They all look amazing!

Julie said...

Too bad that snickerdoodle ice cream wasn't good...it sure sounds like it would be!

Sara said...

All of these look great! I had snickerdoodle ice cream at a restaurant once, SO GOOD.

Debbie said...

My husband bought an ice cream maker not long ago and he loves making homemade ice cream. I will have to show him your post. I love banana ice cream.

Angie's Recipes said...

So many kinds of ice cream :-)) Would love to try banana ice with drizzles of caramel......and some crunchy waffels

Shelby said...

Yum-mie!

CookiePie said...

Yummy!!! I absolutely love banana ice cream, and happen to have some bananas in the freezer! Have to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing!

Maria said...

I am screaming for ice cream!! Looks so good!!!

Deborah said...

I'll have a scoop of each, please!!!

Anonymous said...

wow...I don't even know where to start...they all sound SO freaking good! Triple scoops, please!

Lori said...

Oh Ingrid! Does it get any better than this. I need to come over to your place for some ice cream. They look amazing.

Lisa said...

I HAD to pop over and check out the bananas foster ice cream after you described it to me over the phone, and lo and behold, I get three for one! They all look amazing, and I'm sure the snickerdoodle ice cream can be adjusted, but the banana foster has my heart and palate! I need to tackle that as soon as I feel better. As always, you rocked the recipes! :)

CM said...

Sounds so yummy! I would be all about that bananas foster ice cream- bananas foster anything really... I have dreams about that stuff.
Thanks for sharing the recipes :)

Anonymous said...

Wow! They all sound absolutely amazing. I love ice cream (all flavors, really).

The Blonde Duck said...

I can't wait to hear from McKenna! :)

hannah queen | honey & jam said...

I love homemade ice cream, those look so fantastic!

Robin said...

All of these recipes are excellent- where do I begin?

Emily said...

What a good idea! I love the idea of snickerdoodle ice cream! Thanks for the tip about making your own cookies.

♥Rosie♥ said...

They all really look wonderful and scummy! I really like the idea of your snickerdoodle ice cream :0)

Lo said...

Both of these look fantastic, but I'm afraid I'm a sucker for bananas foster. LOVE the homemade caramel in there!!

A & W said...

ummmm SNICKERDOODLE ICE CREAM. two of my most favorite things. I'm drooling...oh man YUM!
-Whitney

Mumsy said...

Sorry your BF ice cream was icy! Mine was pretty creamy, so I'm not sure why...hmm.

The other two sound great. I'm all for not cooking the custard when I don't have to. :)

Kate @ Our Best Bites said...

I'm so glad someone made the snickerdoodle ice cream (and liked it enough to blog about it!)! I was pretty sure it was destined to become one of those recipes that people read but never made, so I got all warm and fuzzy knowing someone's out there making it! :)

Bananas Foster is next on my list. Sounds soooo good!

Robin said...

Ingrid I am back here to let you know that I made the Banana Ice Cream Recipe yesterday. It is so delicious. I did puree the bananas in with the cream. So smooth and creamy and so easy since I did not have to cook it! Thanks for such a great recipe. Our new favorite!

The Purple Foodie said...

The ice creams sounds sooo delicious. I'm not a big fan of eating bananas as they are, but love them in ice creams and cakes. SO want to make some right now!

Talita said...

I love ice cream! The snickerdoodle ice cream sounds really yummy!

Teanna said...

Thanks for the shout out for the Top Chef thing!!! I saw this post last week - I thought I left a comment but it must not have gone through! That snickerdoodle ice cream is AWESOME and I really love the simplicity of the no cook ice cream! But seriously... along with your banana cream cake with brown sugar frosting, I will be dreaming of this!

ErinsFoodFiles said...

That bananas foster recipe sounds right up my alley!! And when I have photographed ice cream, I've scooped it into a bowl, then stuck the bowl in the freezer. If that helps you at all! :D

UPrinting said...

Now that I think about it, I haven't really tried a banana flavored ice cream. It doesn't sound weird at all, I just have never heard about it until now. Maybe I should try out that recipe of yours. :)