Saturday, November 1, 2008

Peanut Butter Candy Bar Squares

DSC00613Can I be honest?  I can't think of a single interesting thing to say, nothing!  Sorry but if you're looking for witty prose or to crack up over some outlandish thing I've said or for something heartfelt other than if you like, no, love peanut butter than you need these Peanut Butter Candy Bar Squares in your life, well, you've come to the wrong place.  All you're gonna get is a great recipe that I found here at Bake or Break.

These squares are gooood and are even better if you are a lover of all things peanut buttery.  Let me break it down for you.  It starts with a layer of (a whole package)crushed Nutter Butter cookies and a melted stick of butter.  Then you sprinkle on top of the warm crust chopped peanut butter cups, Butterfinger candy bars, honey roasted peanuts, and because you have to have a little chocolate some semisweet chocolate chips. Poured over that is  a batter made up of 1/2 a cup of peanut butter added to a can of sweetened condensed milk and a tablespoon of vanilla.  Told you this is a peanut butter lovers dream.  Now you would think that that is just too much peanut butter, right?  Wrong!  It really isn't too much.  Want to know another great thing about this recipe?  You could actually put however much or little you want of the candies and chips and I'm pretty   certain you could also sub other goodies that would taste yummy with the peanut butter filling.  This is keeper!  Really it's just a glorified blondie and you KNOW how we/I feel about blondies!DSC00618

Speaking of blondies I have made several different recipes in the past month.  Unfortunately I have not gotten photos of the various ones I've tried but I thought I'd go ahead and tell you what I thought.

  1. Doehle Bread's Blondie's Blondie  Besides obviously being a blondie recipe the thing that intrigued me about this recipe was that it  called for Maple extract.  Well, I couldn't find any.  Because I knew what blondies tasted like using vanilla I figured I would get daring  and use Vanilla Butter & Nut extract instead.  No problems there.  Here's where I went wrong. Somehow, I don't know how,  I chopped off the 1 in front of the 1 1/2 cups flour when I printed the recipe. So instead of adding what was called for  I only added (& knew I needed  more flour) 1/2 cup.  So, of course, my first batch went down the garbage disposal to the dismay of my children who were waiting for their blondie fix.  The next night I tried again and all went well.  Were they earth shattering?  No. Were they good ? Yes.  Would I make them again?  Yes, but only after I track down some maple extract.  The deciding factor for me with blondies is whether or not they are chewy and gooey or cakey.  I'm about the chewy and gooey.  These were on the cakey side.
  2.  Smitten Kitchen's Blondies  I've also made these twice.  The first time adding in as suggested a 1/2 cup of mashed bananas.  Though the recipe didn't call for it I added a pinch of cinnamon to the bananas before mixing them into the batter.  While my children thought they were okay and ate them  Joe on the other hand said and I quote, "throw that recipe out"!  LOL!   He didn't even finish the piece he was eating.  The second time I made them I used white chocolate chips as the suggested add in and all was well.  I did undercook them a bit. The next time I think I'll cut back on the butter and cooked them a minute or two longer.  These are definitely gooey!
  3. Bake at 350's Toffee Blondies  Here's my problem, if I undercooked the last dessert I made (remember these)then there's a good chance I'm going to over cook the next dessert and that's exactly what happened with these blondies.  Though in my defense I did take them out earlier than what the recipe called for but still not soon enough.  I also don't think it helped that Babygirl whipped the batter on med high after she added each egg.  In a moment of what I think was genius,  I made a browned butter and cinnamon glaze for them.  Blondies that were good now became great.  The glaze was so good I went ahead a "frosted" the blondies instead of just drizzling some on.    I don't have a recipe to give you for the glaze as I  just winged it.  DSC00610  DSC00620
Post a Comment