Sunday, December 12, 2010

Lollipies or Pie Pops?

Or how about cuteness on a stick! I’m not usually enamored with things mini or too cutsie but these babies pulled at me once I started making them.  :)  

lollipies

They’re quite easy to make, especially if you go the semi-homemade route like I did. I used a Pillsbury Rolled Pie Crust and some Lucky Leaf Premium Cherry Pie Filling.  Easy!   And they bake up in only 12 to 14 minutes, so they’re pretty quick, too.  Below is what I did.  It’s more of a method than a recipe.  If something doesn’t make sense leave me a comment and I’ll get back to you.

mckenna-&-lollipie

Lollipies/Pie Pops*

Ingredients/Utensils:

  • 1 uncooked pie crust, ready made or homemade
  • pie filling of choice
  • 1/4 water in a small bowl or 1 egg beaten, I didn’t used the egg
  • lollipop sticks, I used 7
  • 1 parchment lined cookie sheet
  • (1) 2 1/2 in. round cookie
  • 1 fork & 1 small paring knife

Directions:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Roll out the pie crust.  Cut out an even number of circles, or what ever shape cookie cutter you’re using.  (I got 14 circles, which made 7 lollipies.)  Working with one mini pie cutout, dip one end of a lollipop stick into the water and press into the mini pie crust.  Top the mini pie crust with a heaping teaspoon of pie filling, keeping the filling in the center.  (I used cherry pie filling so I topped mine with one cherry and a teaspoon of the “jelly”.)  Next, dip your index finger in the bowl of water and rub the edge of the crust.  Place top crust directly over the bottom one and gentle press the edges together.  Dip your fork into the bowl of water and gently press the fork tins into the pie crust edges, sealing them closed.   Cut two small slits into top crust to allow steam to escape.  Place on cookie sheet.  Repeat until you have used all your pie crust. (Instead of using water you can use a beaten egg.  You can also coat the tops of the lollipies with the leftover egg wash.  I didn’t on mine & I also forgot to ventilate them.)

Bake for 12 to 14 minutes.  Remove from the oven and allow to cool for five minutes (or so, I baked mine on a stone so I removed them from the stone right away to keep the bottom crust from over browning.). Gently remove with a spatula onto a cooling rack and cool to room temperature. Note: Until the pie pops are completely cooled do not handle by the stick.  After they completely cooled you can dust with powdered sugar or glaze.

pie-pops

Glaze:

  • 1/4 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/4 tsp extract (I used almond)
  • 1/2 Tbs melted butter
  • Enough milk or cream to get the glaze to a workable consistency.

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until smooth. 

pie-pop

* I saw these many months ago,  I believe, on FoodBuzz Top 9 but do not remember the site nor did I follow their instructions.



Giveaway Winner

The winner of Tate’s Bake Shop cookies & cookbook is…………….

Pam, who says she is definitely a cookie eater!  For those of you that prefer to bake cookies I would be more than happy to eat any cookies you’d like to share.  :)

58 comments:

Lucie said...

I've been wanting to make pie pops forever--yours look sooo scrumptious, Ingrid!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A great idea! Those look wonderful.

Cheers,

Rosa

pam said...

Pie on a stick!! Fabulous!!

And thanks so much for the giveaway!! Oh boy, cookies!! I am so excited!

cocoa and coconut said...

These would be a great crowd pleaser; but still unique! Thanks for sharing.

Julie said...

Pie on a stick? Count me in!

Faith said...

These are such a great idea, Ingrid! They'd be the perfect portable dessert to bring to a holiday party. Love it!

Heather Baird said...

Really cute! I love individual desserts... makes me feel special when I have one.

Deborah said...

Well, I do love anything mini and these are just too cute!!

Keeping up with the Freitas' said...

Yum - these look delicious and so easy! I love the idea for the glaze too! And your daughter is such a cutie!

Me and My Pink Mixer said...

I love mini desserts ~ they are just so cute! I'll have to try this idea soon.

Roxan said...

Oh, these are so adorable! I would have a really really hard time with eating just one of them. I bet they would make wonderful gifts too.

teresa said...

totally adorbs, and they look delicious!

Unknown said...

One word = AWESOME

grace said...

these are great, but there's one problem--how do you eat them a la mode? :)

The Blonde Duck said...

Pie on a stick! Huzzah!

Debbie said...

Totally adorable pie pops!!! I love the idea...I've never seen them before!

Barbara Bakes said...

These are so cute! I want to whip them up soon too.

Sean Grey Hanson said...

Pie pops sounds better. I havn't seen this before.

kimberleyblue said...

These are absolutely adorable! I love the step-by-step eating them photos too...so cute! Great idea for the kids' table at a holiday dinner party!

blackbookkitchendiaries said...

these are just too cute! wonderful idea:) thanks for sharing this and have a lovely day.

Barbara said...

How in heaven's name do they stay on the stick without breaking?
They are so adorable...I'm going to try!

Val said...

I love them. CUTENESS on a stick!

Danielle said...

Cute! They look amazing, way better than regular pie(:

Robin said...

Very cute lolly-pies! I think my gang would go for these too, great for lunches. Maybe after Christmas when my life settles down I can enjoy making some and enjoy eating some even more!

Avril said...

Ok I've got to make these little cutie pies!!!!!!!!!!

You might want to check this out Ingrid.....

http://bakingandcreatingwithavril.blogspot.com/2010/12/winner-is-announced-and-lovely-pd.html

Robin said...

You are so funny! Egg Nog muffins in the mail, huh! Thanks for all the sweet comments, I am having fun blogging each day, more so than work!! But I am so far behind in shopping and housework, hehe. It somehow all gets done. When do you all go on Christmas break? We are done for 2 whole weeks this Friday- I need the break. Have a great Humpday!

Cristine said...

So adorable! These look like perfect treats to make with my kiddos!

Unknown said...

I've seen these around a lot, always wanted to try them! They look delicious, and oh so adorable!!

Unknown said...

It doesn't matter what you call them, everything is better on a stick!

Unknown said...

These are truly adorable

Chestnuts....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chestnut

Julie M. said...

How cute are those?! I had never seen them before today. Yours look delicious and that picture of your daughter is beautiful!

Pam said...

So cute, clever, and delicious.

Kathryn said...

These are so creative!

Monica H said...

That is such a great picture of McKenna!

I like that you added a bow to your styrofoam, yet you don't like cutsie things. ha!

pigpigscorner said...

What a great idea!

Heather S-G said...

I love these! I remember seeing some a while back, too...and got all goo-goo eyed over them. Your pictures are absolutely beautiful...as is your daughter...and of course I want to make some immediately! I mean come on, it doesn't get much better than pie on a stick, does it? :D

Lori said...

My friend I think Baby Girl is transforming into a big girl. What a beautiful young lady. Its going so fast. I look at my daughter and I am like wow are you kidding me? Time is going by too fast.

These pie pops are perfect. What a great treat.

Anonymous said...

Thats handy eating allright. No need for any of that messy pie cutting!

Maria said...

These pops are so fun and I bet they are beyond tasty!

Reeni said...

I like cute food! And these are some of the cutest things I've ever seen! I bet they taste every bit as scrumptious as they look.

Joyti said...

Awww, so cute AND seemingly very delicious too. But then, I am a big fan of pie, and this easy-to-eat version sounds divine.

Unknown said...

These look awesome! And that girl of yours is absolutely gorgeous!

Nella said...

Those are cutie-licious!!! I wish you a joyous holiday. Merry Christmas to you and your family. Nella

Lisa said...

OK..I just went through what I've missed the last few weeks, and these pie/pops, the white chocolate blondies and the pecan cuties are on my 'to bake' list. I've been so busy preparing the Jan '11 Daring Cooks challenge (you'll see why) and baking in general, that I haven't had time to even breathe lol

Your blog looks gorgeous - your photos more and more breathtaking. A Happy Holidays to you and the clan if we don't talk before :)

White Toast with Butter said...

I love the whole mini dessert craze - but I don't do it that often - it is time consuming. Big plans next week for a whole mini baking-looza - cheesecakes, pecan pies, tosca cakes.

Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer said...

Lollipies! Yummy and fun.

Velva said...

Awesome! The pops look delicious.

Happy Holidays to you.

Velva

Mimi said...

These look too cute and a perfect fit for me since I am a lover mini dessert.
Thanks for asking- We are just busy, high school soccer started and we have 3 games a week, that with all the Chirstmas prep leave little time for blogging. Janaury should be a little more mellow.
Mimi

Anonymous said...

Yum, these do look good!

Kerstin said...

Aww, so cute, everything should be served on a stick :)

Diana's Cocina said...

Your baby girl is beautiful! And these lolly pies are adorable. I'm printing this awesome recipe.

Thank you for your comment on my new pic. You are such a sweetheart. ♥

Sara @ Our Best Bites said...

haha, I just made pie pops with my lucky leaf filling too! I did little heart pies to stow away for valentines day (stowing away the photos for a post, not the actual pies! lol) Isn't everything better on a stick?? Super cute!

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic idea! Perfect for entertaining. Love this!!

Crepes of Wrath said...

oh. my. god.

These are so cute and they look delicious! I need them in my life.

tobias cooks! said...

Very creative! I love those.

Amanda said...

These are awesome Ingrid. I still have some homemade cherry pie filing and have been looking for ways to use it!

Jaime said...

oooh i have to try these! yum.

happy new year!

Sherry G said...

Your daughter is absolutely gorgeous! And those pops are adorable.