Saturday, October 9, 2010

Cinnamon Sugar Apple Donut Muffins

Now that’s a mouthful.  A delicious mouthful. 

cinna-apple5

The recipe is actually called caramel apple donut muffins but I left out the caramel.  I know, I know. I love caramel but they were so good without the caramel I was afraid to mess with the good I already had. :)

  cinna-apple6

I found the recipe on a blog called Willow Bird Baking.  Julie made an assortment of donut muffins.  She had powdered sugar donut muffins, chocolate dipped with sprinkles ones, jelly filled, and the caramel apple.  They all look great but I had to go with cinnamon and caramel.  My kids loved these and gobbled up in no time.  The only thing I would do differently next time is to add more apple.  My apple was a bit small so I’d use a nice big one or two small ones.  Happy Apple Baking!  :)

Cinnamon Sugar Apple Donut Muffins, adapted from Willow Bird Baking 

Batter Ingredients:

3/4 cup sugar

1 large egg

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour

2 tsp baking power

1/4 tsp salt

1/4 tsp ground nutmeg

1/4 cup vegetable oil

3/4 cup milk (low fat is fine)

1 tsp vanilla extract 

4 tablespoons melted butter, for dipping

1/2 cup sugar mixed with 1 tablespoon cinnamon

1 apple, peeled and diced (I used a Granny Smith)

Directions:
Prepare two mini-muffin pans by spraying with cooking spray.* Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.   Beat sugar and egg together in a large bowl until fluffy. In a smaller bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg. Pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients and stir until combined. Add vegetable oil, milk, vanilla extract and mix.   Stir in apples.

Pour batter into prepared muffin tins, filling each about 3/4 full. Bake for 13-15 minutes until tester comes out clean.  Remove from oven and let cool in the pan for a few minutes before removing onto a cooling rack (if muffins are extremely delicate and difficult to remove, you may need to bake them a minute longer.) While the muffins are cooling melt the butter in the microwave and mix the cinnamon and sugar in a separate bowl. When the muffins are cool enough to handle, dunk the tops into the melted butter and then into the cinnamon-sugar mixture.

cinna-apple3*I made 24 mini donut muffins and 6 regular sized ones.  You can make 36 minis or 18 regular size ones.  For the printable recipe I used click here.

42 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Those look so delicious and pretty! Yummy!

Cheers,

Rosa

Abby said...

They're lovely! Dainty and sweet, but I bet they pack a punch in the flavor department, too! (Gonna have to check out those powdered-sugar donuts, too!)

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking said...

They came out great! Love them!!

Lili said...

These look so yummy! Your photography is wonderful. ~Lili

Reeni said...

These look so delicious Ingrid! I love that crunchy sugar coating on the outside!

cocoa and coconut said...

Mmm that does look like a delicious mouthful. Particularly with that sugar on the outside.

Lucie said...

This hits the spot, Ingrid. I can just imagine the perfect spiced taste with the sugar balancing it out...yum!

Avril said...

I am in love!!! - these little treasures look wonderfully d'lish!
I look forward to making them myself....thanks for sharing Ingrid! :-)

Happy Sunday!
~avril

p.s. I received my prize in the mail yesterday!!! - sooooo excited! :-)

Unknown said...

I saw these on Julie's site recently and I drooled over them then...and I'm drooling over them now. Why didn't you invite me over??? Mean! LOL! They look great! I need to get me some mini muffin pans!

Faith said...

I've been dying to make donut muffins like this. Coated in cinnamon sugar, they look like perfection to me!

Unknown said...

These look absolutely wonderful. Great idea leaving out the caramel!

Monica H said...

I've been wanting to make these, but the recipe I saw was from Bunny's Warm Oven. They just look so good!

Mimi said...

I think I need to verture away form my plain donut muffins, these look delicious.
Mimi

Julie said...

Mmm...muffins! Looks delicious :)

Amanda said...

Those look wonderful, just love all that sugary goodness!

April said...

They look like a perfect breakfast treat...or really any time of day treat! :)

oneordinaryday said...

They sound delicious, Ingrid. Did you grate the apples?

Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer said...

We love Donut Muffins and now I think we will love these. I usually get lazy and instead of rolling them in butter/ sugar I (before baking) top it with cinnamon and Turbinado sugar to make the tops a yummy crispy sugar top.

Elle Bee said...

I've never made donuts. Too intimidating I guess? But donut muffins I think I could do! Thanks for a great recipe!

Debbie said...

They look delicious Ingrid and perfect for this time of year!

Lisa said...

These donut muffins look heavenly, Ingrid. Love the first photo, you can see each granule of luscious cinnamon sugar. May I have one with an apple pie candy apple? I cannot stop thinking about those!

Bunny said...

They look so good Ingrid, apples are comfy food this time of yr!

Robin said...

I have got to start making more muffins, there are so many good ones out there. These look great! I am sinking over here- my job keeps me so busy here at home- lesson plans, grading papers, writing tests that I hardly have time to chat with my bloggy friends. OK I'll stop complaining, it is good that I have a job, I am thankful. How are you holding up with sports and activities in full swing? Have a great week!!!

Val said...

I make a similar version of these all the time for my kiddies. Yours looks super yummy!!!!!

Crepes of Wrath said...

These look absolutely perfect! Light, fluffy, and oh so pretty!

naomi said...

Igrid, you skipped caramel?? :) These do look pretty perfect and look like they can survive with out it.

That said, I should be able to have that caramel with my morning pancakes.

Delicious Dishings said...

These look so tasty - almost like apple cider doughnuts!

(I love Julie's blog.)

Lynn said...

Mmm, these look good. I like the idea of apples in there.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, and these look sooooo good. I might add the carmel, maybe half and half. :)

Heather S-G said...

...and I still haven't gotten around to making the regular old cinnamon sugar donut muffins I've been meaning to for...like...forever! These sound awesome :D

Clare @ Mrs Multitasker said...

I love that first picture. The beautiful muffin looks so pristine...

Leslie said...

A delicious mouthful indeed!

kimberleyblue said...

I love the idea of donut muffins! I don't know if I would be able to not stick in some caramel though...

These look amazing.I love the thought of dunking the tops in butter, and then in cinnamon sugar.

grace said...

oh ingrid, these are wonderful! a caramel component would be nice, but they don't need it--well done!

Barbara said...

Those look fabulous, Ingrid!
Donuts all wrapped up in muffin form. I won't feel as badly scarfing down a couple of those! :)

Kristen said...

What a great way to use apples!

Megan said...

I love the apple in them and I'm with you, one little apple doesn't seem like much. Dipped in butter and sugar? Oh yeaaa!

Julie M. said...

Love Julie's blog! These look perfect, with or without the caramel added in. Yum!

Deborah said...

I have seen donut muffins before, but never with apples. These sound great!!

Jaime said...

mmmmmm.....you had me at caramel apple ;) i need to bookmark this one :)

Deeba PAB said...

Pretty and YUM! Got these bookmarked Ingrid!!

jennifer said...

thanks,ingrid! i made myself my very own batch of these donut muffins the other day & they are as d-licious as they look! many tummies were happy thanks to you. :)

jennifer