Friday, October 22, 2010

Bananas Foster Bread, Better Late Than Never

banana-foster-bread3

Have you guys met Maranda from Jolts & Jollies?  A month or so ago she blogged about making apple butter and in her post she mentioned having more jars of it that she knew what to do with.  In my comment to her I might have begged mentioned that I would happily take a jar off her hands.  Lucky me;  she immediately emailed asking for my address and not too long after I received a package from her with TWO jars of homemade apple butter and a Cooking Light magazine loaded with banana bread recipes.   Now if you know me at all, you know I love me some bananas so, that was a welcomed surprise.  :)  I immediately called Maranda to thank her for the package and during the course of our conversation she mentioned wanting to make this bread.  I quickly flipped and found the recipe for myself and concurred that it did look and sound good. 

banana-foster-bread5

Jumping ahead a couple of weeks…during an exchange of texts Maranda said that she had made the bananas foster bread and that it was really good.  Not to be left banana breadless I quickly resolved to make the bread myself and we agreed to blog about it together this Friday (today!).  Sorry, I’m so late Maranda!

banana-foster-bread2

This isn’t your mama’s banana bread.  It has ground oatmeal,  allspice, and dark RUM in it. Definitely stuff not found in your everyday banana bread and to top it off it has a dark rum glaze that’s poured over it while still warm from the oven. 

banana-foster-bread

I made several changes to the recipe but Maranda on the other hand stuck to it so hop over and see what she thought of her bananas foster bread.

Bananas Foster Bread,adapted from Cooking Light

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2  cups  mashed ripe banana
  • 1  cup  packed brown sugar, divided
  • 6  tablespoons  butter, melted and divided
  • 1/4  cup  cognac or dark rum, divided (I used Meyer’’s Dark Rum) 
  • 1/3  cup  plain fat-free yogurt (I used sour cream)
  • 2  large eggs
  • 6.75  ounces  all-purpose flour (about 1 1/2 cups)
  • 1/4  cup  ground flaxseed (I used old fashion oatmeal that I ground in my mini food processor)
  • 3/4  teaspoon  baking soda
  • 1/2  teaspoon salt
  • 1/2  teaspoon  ground cinnamon
  • 1/8  teaspoon  ground allspice
  • Cooking spray
  • 1/3  cup  powdered sugar
  • splash of heavy cream, optional

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 350°.

2. Combine banana, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 5 tablespoons butter, and 3 tablespoons cognac in a nonstick skillet. Cook over medium heat until mixture begins to bubble. Remove from heat; cool. Place banana mixture in a large bowl. Add yogurt, remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar, and eggs. Beat with a mixer at medium speed.

3. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 5 ingredients (through allspice) in a small bowl. Add flour mixture to banana mixture; beat just until blended. Pour batter into a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan  (I baked mine in 3 mini loaf pans.) coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 1 hour (my minis took 28 minutes) or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven; cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack. Remove bread from pan; place on wire rack.

4. Combine remaining 1 tablespoon melted butter, remaining 1 tablespoon cognac, and powdered sugar; (I found my glaze too thick and added a splash of heavy cream to thin it out.) stir until well blended. Drizzle over the warm bread.

banana-foster-bread4

Truth…all the adults that tried the bread said it was very good but my three were not impressed.  More for me then!  :)

Click here for a printable recipe.

40 comments:

cocoa and coconut said...

I love the drizzle of icing Ingrid.

Smitten Sugar said...

In that spirit of giving, Ill take a loaf of this!

haha just kidding! looks delicious

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A gorgeous bread! So fluffy and moist.

Cheers,

Rosa

Barbara said...

Oh yea! Another sweet bread recipe to try! And it looks marvelous. ( Who doesn't love Bananas Foster? ) Except your kids. I wonder why?
Perhaps it's an adults only bread? :)

Kalei's Best Friend said...

would u believe I could not find apple butter at the store I go to? this looks delish.

Debbie said...

You know that if I see a new banana bread recipe I have to make it!! Love it too. I will be making this one and let you know how it turns out. I saw a recipe last week for a banana cheesecake...never had that before and I may also give that a try. I find that I always have overripe bananas here since I still like them with a tinge of green!!!!

April said...

Yep..I will be making this!!!!

Cristine said...

Looks yummy!

Anonymous said...

Yes, more for you! Looks delicious. I hit print. :)

Heather Baird said...

Oh my goodness! That sounds absolutely divine!

Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer said...

Adult Banana Bread- love it! This looks like a yummy sub to the standard banana bread. Glaze looks so good and you know I love it when it has healthy stuff in it :) So I think I will go buy some rum now!

Avril said...

Well, hello there special banana bread! - I just can't get over the fact that there is actually RUM in these recipe...wowsers!!!! :-)

Chelsea said...

Wow, this looks really good! God knows I've got enough bananas sitting in my freezer waiting to be cooked... Thank you!

Monica H said...

That was a very thoughtful gift from Maranda.

Your bread is beautiful. Love that first pic.

michellemabell said...

I was hoping you were going to make something that called for apple butter in the recipe since I have an abundance of the stuff too...hahaha
This recipe looks interesting,especially since you cook the bananas first before adding to batter....I'll have to give this a try!
Have a good day.
michelle

Faith said...

It definitely looks like the ULTIMATE banana bread! Gorgeous photos, Ingrid!

Deeba PAB said...

You seem to have a winner here...what a great twist to banana bread! YUM!

Sherry G said...

Your pictures for this are really good! This bread looks, and sounds, like a winner. I just found my self with nine bananas, and I'm looking for recipes to use them in. I will definitely make this one a priority!

Unknown said...

Oh I love all the changes you made! I'm definitely going to be trying it your way...although I might make it with spiced rum instead. Oh...pumpkin bread with spiced rum icing. Excuse me, I have to go get to baking now! LOL! Thanks for being so awesome and fibbing about how it wasn't long after I got your address that I sent you that apple butter! LOL!

Lili said...

Yo ho ho and a bottle of Rum! Looks scrumtious, more for the adults for sure. Your blog could easily make me fat. Now I must go exercise :-) ~Lili

pigpigscorner said...

This looks and sounds amazing! So moist and the drizzle...YUM

Anonymous said...

the rum is definitely enuff to win me over. Your pictures look beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

Lori said...

Oh dah dah dear (Piglet voice), these sound so good. I love rum cake so I bet I would go crazy over this.

grace said...

your substitutions seem to have yielded the perfect loaf--this looks amazing. what a great idea, and your execution seems flawless!

Julie M. said...

Yours looks just as tasty as Maranda's did! Anyway you slice it (no pun intended)this bread is a winner!

megan @ whatmegansmaking said...

Wow this sounds incredible! Talk about banana bread with a kick :) I love recipes like this - classics that are changed to be something unique. Looks delicious!

kimberleyblue said...

I just posted about a banana bread - must be banana bread season! :)

I love the sound of this one, and that glaze all over looks amazing. Great photos too!

The Blonde Duck said...

I used to go for the super rich stuff, but now I find I'm being drawn to more spice and flavor...this looks great! (Even if it's not pie.) :)

Reeni said...

That's so sweet to get a package like that! And the bread looks insanely good Ingrid! I think I like it more than the original banana foster dessert.

Diana's Cocina said...

Hi Ingrid! What an awesome treat! Love the pics. I'm sure the rum makes the glaze delish!

Lucie said...

Ooh, I saw this recipe and thought it looked tasty. Your version looks great! Oh, apple butter--has to be one of the things I miss most from the US!

Katy ~ said...

I am soooooo going to make this! Oh my!!!

Linda said...

bananas...and rum??!!! You've caught my attention. I'm all over this recipe, as it sounds amazing!

Kristen said...

what a great treat!

Donna-FFW said...

Absolutely loving this post, Ingrid. I am a fan of baking with bananas so you know this is going on my HUGE list of things I wanna try.

naomi said...

Okay, you know I share a love for bananas (and caramel) with you-this sounds freak'n awesome!

I have to make this!

Eliana said...

This banana bread literally has me drooling right now. It looks amazing!

Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer said...

Sooo...I went and bought some Hennessy just for this recipe ;)

oneordinaryday said...

Wow. That is one impressive bread, Ingrid. You've got my address, right? LOL

Mimi said...

I love bananas and rum, I don't know why I've never combined them in a bread before. I will now.
Mimi