Monday, May 10, 2010

Burn, Baby, Burn

And burn it did! My meringue that is…

DSC03426

April’s recipe challenge was Emeril’s lemon meringue pie and was chosen by Michelle.  Normally we try to blog about our results by the first of the following month but someone, I don’t know who, held things up.  (Sorry, Ladies! :)) So, we’re a little late.

DSC03419

Except for my kitchen torch not working and burning my meringue a bit broiling it in the oven, I think this recipe was a success. All three of my children devoured their mini tarts, which is an excellent sign that they loved them.  I think I even caught Devon about to lick his plate!  :) I know he thought about it and wanted to. 

DSC03421

I made two changes to the recipe.  I used the Michelle’s pie crust recipe, which is actually Julia’s by way of Dorie.  And instead of making a 9 inch pie I made four, 4 inch mini tarts.   I’m most proud of my crust as it was the biggest challenge for me.  I’ve only made pie/tart crust once before and looking back I don’t think I did a very good job.  (Thanks, Debby for your encouraging post on pie crust!)  This crust was light and flaky, perfect! 

If you make 4 mini tarts you’re going to have a lot of the filling left over.   I’m not sure what’s in store for mine but I have an idea!  I didn’t have any meringue left because I piled it on and lost some of it out of the top of my piping bag, which I might have over filled.  Okay now you know the drill!  Hop over to see how Monica and Michelle fared with their pies! 

DSC03431

Pie Dough, for a printable recipe

(from Baking with Julia by Dorie Greenspan)

~yields enough dough for two double-crust pies** (You can find the halved recipe here.)

5 1/4 c. pastry flour or all-purpose flour

1 Tbsp. kosher salt

1 1/2 sticks (6 ounces) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces

1 3/4 c. solid vegetable shortening (11 ounces), chilled

1 c. ice cold water

Fix mixer with paddle attachment (or use a pastry blender).  Put flour and salt in bowl and mix.  Add butter and mix on low until it is cut into dry ingredients and the mixture looks coarse and crumbly.  Add shortening in small bits and continue to mix on low.  When the mixture holds together when a small bit is pressed between your fingers, add the water and mix only until it is incorporated.  Turn the dough out onto a work surface and fold it over on itself two or three times, just to finish the mixing and to gather it together.

Divide the dough into four equal balls and flatten into thick discs.  Wrap dough discs in plastic and refrigerate for 2 hours or as long as 5 days.  When dough is thoroughly firm and chilled, roll for pie crusts.

**For baking instructions follow the recipe you’re using this crust in. 

DSC03434

57 comments:

Memória said...

Oh wow. I love love love that last shot. It's so tantalizing! Where's the recipe for the filling? If it is a curd, you could make an ice cream out of it!

Monica H said...

How did you manage to get your post done before us when you just made it?! ha ha!

I loved this pie and I'm glad your kiddos did too. I also may or may not have licked the plate too!

Congrats on your success with the pie crust- your meringue looks so nice and fluffy.

cheeseball? eh?

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That is one of m,y favorite pies! Yours look luscious!

Cheers,

Rosa

Shelby said...

Yummy lemon! My son will eat lemon curd straight from the fridge - I'm sure he would love this too! BTW, its not burned that bad!

grace said...

sometimes i think i might be a little bit of a pyromaniac. i love fire and use any excuse to break out the torch--sorry yours broke, but the pie still looks grand. :)

oneordinaryday said...

Is this the best pie crust on the planet or what?? I wish I could take credit, but that Julia definitely deserves props, doesn't she?

I'm glad the pie was such a hit. Since my kids didn't like it, Jim and I got to eat it all by ourselves. What a great stroke of luck that was. haha

Lovely job, friend!

Unknown said...

looks fantastic! I actually like mine a little toasty on top ;o)

Kim @ http://frostmeblog.blogspot.com
party inspiration

♥peachkins♥ said...

beautiful pie, ingrid...


blowing peachkisses
The Peach Kitchen
peach and things

Cristine said...

Mmmmm! Can I have a slice? Looks great!

Unknown said...

No one would know you're a pie novice, judging from the pictures. :)
And I know the best thing you could do with the leftover curd, make lemon mousse! Yum!!

Keeley said...

Looks good to me! I don't even have a kitchen torch, so I don't know if I'd attempt this one.

Lucie said...

Looks scrumptious! The last shot really makes me want to dive into the computer!

Mimi said...

Lemon Meringue was my Dad's favorite pie, one of the first I learned to make. Yours looks delicious, lots of fluffy meringue. You can't go wrong with Julia's pie crust.
Mimi

Lorie said...

Yummy!

And actually I am quite possibly coming to Florida in June--Panama City--are you close-ish? And does your husband REALLY hunt gators? ;o)

Lorie said...

Okay, wait. I read your comment wrong on my blog. It didn't say your hubby hunts gators. Gotcha. Duh. Pass the coffee, please. I need to wake up.;)

Plain Chicken said...

My husband love lemon pie. This looks like a great summer pie recipe. I'll save it for our Memorial Day BBQ.

Paris Pastry said...

The crust looks perfect indeed! I love lemon meringue pie! Actually, right now I'm so lusting after lemons.

The Blonde Duck said...

You know what's funny? I love pie, but I hate meringue.

Heidi said...

I haven't had one of those pies in forever!!! Sounds so good :) The taste always reminds me of summer.

Katy ~ said...

You're going to have to teach me to make lemon meringue. I've never made one because I'm too scarrit to try it, grins, and it's one of my all time favorites. I'd lick the plate for one of these too; they look delicious.

Unknown said...

I think it looks great! I think I may need to try this. Thanks for sharing!

teresa said...

this made my mouth water! i love lemon desserts. i still think your meringue looks lovely!

Faith said...

I've never made lemon meringue pie, but after seeing your pictures I'm craving it! It looks delicious!

Jamie said...

Ingrid-
These little babies look delish!! I love all things lemon!

Donna-FFW said...

You are a braver soul than me.. I have never attempted meringue pie, but now I want to. It looks wonderful and FUN to make. Playing with fire.. sounds like a blast;)

Lori said...

Funny, I am not a huge meringue fan but I was thinking the other day that I need to make a meringue pie just to say I did it. I think this pie would be a fine place to start. Nicely done Ingrid. I love the mini's - they are always a hit- arent they?

michellemabell said...

mmm...what to do with the leftover filling? I probably would have had it eaten by now. hahah
I have that Julia cookbook but never tried that crust yet. Now I will. :)
Thanks!!

Have a great day.
Michelle

Lot-O-Choc said...

Ooooh the oozing lemoniness looks so good, i love lemon meringue pie, i havent had any in years, yours looks delicious :).

cookies and cups said...

I love your posts, even when you have a problem!! I think they look great :)

A_and_N said...

We're back :)

I've not been successful with a meringue ever. Even just to get the peaks. I'm no baker, but I dunno when to stop :|

Plus, I find meringues too eggy? So, I always avoid them. However, the filling you have sounds heavenly!

Leslie said...

Burned or not..still looks tasty!

Teanna said...

I've had some serious meringue disasters!!! Your meringue looks great!!! My mouth is watering!

Mary Bergfeld said...

I love anything lemon and this sounds delicious. The bits of brown just show it's made by Mom with love. I just found your blog but will return as often as I can. I love what you are doing here. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

Eliana said...

You're on fire with this one girlie! Looks awesome.

Elle Bee said...

I have an odd (and probably really stupid) question. Can you reuse those beans after using them as pie weights? I've always wondered that.

Great lookin' lemon tarts. I love lemon!

Pam said...

Wow, wow, wow. I love any dessert with lemon.

Debbie said...

Love this pie! It looks delicious Ingrid. I love the small tart pans!

Foodiewife said...

Awwwwwwww. I am just now catching up on blogs. So glad I encouraged you with pie crusts. Ya did a great job! I don't think the meringue looks burned. I'll eat Monica's share, cuz I love me some meringue! I so have to make this, since hubs loves anything with lemon.

Reeni said...

I am so bad at pie crusts! This has my mouth watering. I love the idea of mini tarts - everyone gets one and no fighting over the last slice!

Kathleen said...

This sounds like a killer recipe!

Jaime said...

beautiful meringue!

Crepes of Wrath said...

This pie looks insanely good. I made a lemon meringue pie once, but after 24 hours it kind of turned to a watery mess in the fridge. I should really try again. Your photos are making my mouth water!

Cyndy said...

I think it looks perfect. But then I love my marshmallows toasted too.
Beautifully done and love your photo's!

Lila said...

I'm sure nobody would care if the tips of your meringue were a little discolored! Because, to me, it looks divine!
Lila Ferraro
Queen Bedroom Sets

Amanda said...

Who cares about the burnt tips, I bet it tasted fabulous!

Memória said...

Your new header looks great, Ingrid!! Monica did a great job.

Megan said...

They dont look burned. they look delicious!

Maria said...

Lovely dessert! I like things a little over done:) They look perfect!

Jonna said...

It looks perfect to me! I love anything lemon, and will be trying your recipe very soon. Thanks Ingrid.

Deborah said...

How funny - I just did lemon meringue the other day and burnt the meringue!

Barbara said...

oops! Oh well, it happens and I bet it still tasted divine!

Jessica said...

I think they look perfect! YUM!

Maria♥ said...

Hi Ingrid

Unfortunately I have some very sad news about Rosie from Baking Cakes Galore, she has passed away. Could you please pass by my blog. I have written up a tribute for her on my blog and would like everyone who knew her to leave a comment as I will be printing out all the comments to send onto her husband.

Maria
x

Rachel said...

Wow, great job! That looks beautiful! So fluffy! I know I'd be licking the plate regardless if it was burned. Which, btw, you can barely tell.

Velva said...

I would have easily licked the plate when I was finished. I love lemon meringue pie. You did a really nice job.

btw, I really smiled when I saw your comment about eating your first guava pastry on Monday.

Judy said...

Lemon meringue -- a real winner and it looks yummy. Thanks so much for visiting my blog.

Jana said...

That crust does indeed look lovely,actually the whole thing does, I need it for breakfast.