Monday, November 16, 2009

Peach, But You Could Use Apples or Pears,Cake

DSC02188 I wasn’t going to blog about this recipe as it initially called for nectarines and then when I made it I used peaches.  Both of which are now out of season and I didn’t want to tease you but after thinking about it (a few times) I realized you could easily use pears or apples. 

DSC02197

Though I’m posting this now I actually made it soon after Debbie posted it on her blog,  Mocha Me.  (Have you visited her yet?  I’ve  made many of her recipes. The most recent, Ooey Gooey Toffee Butter Cake which was terrific but sadly I did a horrible job photographing it so you won’t be seeing mine.) 

DSC02184

I did make a few changes to the recipe and added a couple of spices. This was one time I actually I remembered  to write down my changes but of course, now I can’t find the recipe sheet.  (I’m getting better Monica.  At least this time I remembered to tell you I made some changes.  :)  Inside joke?  Yes, and I’m gonna let you in on it.  A few months ago I raved to Monica about this bundt cake that I made.  I really went on and on about how terrific it was and pretty much convinced her to give it a try.  Which wouldn’t have been bad had I told her I made some key changes to the original recipe.  LOL, when she started telling me how hers turned out I realized that I neglected to tell her of my changes.  Ooooops!)

DSC02204Peach, But You Could Use Apples or Pears Cake aka Nectarine Golden Cake

1 cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
Rounded 1/4 teaspoon salt
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
3/4 Cup plus 1/2 TB sugar, divided (I used turbinado for the 1/2 TB)
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (vanilla bean paste)
1/8 teaspoon pure almond extract (I omitted)
2 nectarines (I used peaches), pitted and cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg (I used fresh!  Duckie your Microplane nutmeg grater is on it’s way!)

My additions: 1/2 tsp cardamom & 1/4 cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350F with rack in middle. Lightly butter a 9-in springform pan. (I used a 6 inch & a 4 inch.)
Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
Beat butter and 3/4 cup sugar with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition, then beat in extracts. At low speed, mix in flour mixture until just combined.
Spread batter evenly in pan, then scatter nectarines (nicely arrange) over top. Stir together nutmeg and remaining 1/2 Tbsp sugar and sprinkle over top. Bake until cake is golden brown and top is firm but tender when lightly touched (cake will rise over fruit), 45 to 50minutes (adjust  accordingly if using a different size pan.) Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove side of pan and cool to warm.

DSC02180

The kids ate their slices dusted with powdered sugar but I ate mine topped with vanilla ice cream. 

DSC02209

I also have to tell you that this is the first time I used cardamom and am kicking myself for waiting so long.  It’s good stuff and I’ve tried to incorporate it where I can.

 

Post a Comment